You haven’t lived until you’ve tried these delicious, soft and chewy molasses cookies.
Around here, it isn’t autumn yet until there’s molasses cookies fresh out of the oven. Forget everything you thought you knew about gingersnaps or the like. These are like the most incredible combination of snickerdoodles and gingerbread – a little sweet; a little spicy. They are so easy to make, and I’m not exaggerating when I say that every time I’ve shared these with others, they immediately want to eat the entire batch in one sitting.
This recipe is a family favorite. My mom made them when I was a little girl, my sister makes them for her family, and I make them for myself and my husband (and anyone else who wants to come over for coffee and cookies). When you bake them, your whole house will smell like the holidays, and it’s bound to put you in the best mood!
I truly believe these molasses cookies are the absolute best autumn snack.
You could easily turn them into ice cream sandwiches, with a butter pecan ice cream in the center. You can dip them in spiced mocha, or you can just eat them by the handful while you’re working (as I tend to do).
Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Blend wet ingredients using a hand or stand mixer (or spatula if a mixer is unavailable)
- Blend dry ingredients with a whisk
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients little by little while continuing to mix
- Mix well
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight (or 2 hours minimum) with plastic wrap over the bowl
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Form 1" balls of dough and roll in granulated sugar
- Place rolled and sugared cookies onto greased cookie sheet approximately 2" apart
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Let cool on parchment paper or cooling rack
I can honestly say that these are my favorite cookies in the world – and I’m not even the biggest cookie fanatic. There’s something truly special about them!