While it may so often seem as though the life of a full time blogger is incredibly glamorous, you may be surprised to find out that the majority of us have normal mornings just like yours. We love our snooze button a little too much, and trying to choose a healthy smoothie over that chocolate muffin is a challenge (the muffin wins more often than not). My morning routine is nothing to brag about, and definitely drags out a lot longer than in the video. Since my gastroparesis symptoms are at their worst in the morning, I tend to do the majority of my work in bed for about an hour before I even get up and go eat. However, any opportunity I get to actually easily leave my bed without pain merits a morning very similar to what I filmed!
I usually wake up between 8-9 AM (even though my first alarm goes off at 7:15). I spend a few minutes catching up on Instagram, Facebook, looking at my emails on my phone, and of course snuggling with my kitty, Luna. Then I get up and stretch… and shimmy. Yes, that sounds bizarre, but I add a little shimmy or a little dance before I actually get moving because it gets the blood flowing and makes me happier! Plus, if I’m wearing this adorable Adore Me pajama set, it’s just way too comfy to not shimmy in! Next I’ll pour a few drops of grapefruit essential oil into my diffuser for a bright scent throughout my room as I begin my day. If my stomach is alright, a smoothie or bowl of yogurt and fruit is in order. If I have extra time, I might even make myself an omelet! Back upstairs I go to sit down at my MacBook and do some serious work. I’ll check and respond to emails, post on Facebook and Twitter, and plan out some of my work for the week.
Next I head to the bathroom to get ready. I’ve been using my Clarisonic Mia 2 brush for several months now and it’s been life-changing for my skin! I recently switched from a Neutrogena face wash to the Bioré charcoal cleanser and I love the fresh, almost cold sensation it has on my skin. I like to wash my face before I get in the shower, because I don’t like submersing my Clarisonic in the water, and sometimes, if I’ve curled my hair the night before, I skip the shower. Next comes makeup, and I’ve put together several makeup videos recently that you can view here, here, and here! Once my makeup is finished and my hair is dried and either flat-ironed or curled, I’ll pick an outfit and head out to conquer the rest of my day!
Some tips to keep in mind for a relaxing, un-rushed morning:
1. Set your first alarm for a good hour before you want to actually get up. This way, you can hit snooze several times before moving, and you’ll give your body the illusion of sleeping in.
2. Pick out your outfit the night before (this is something I’m terrible at). If it’s already laid out and ready, you won’t spend time agonizing over that “I have nothing to wear” feeling.
3. Get food and coffee (or tea) in you before you really begin moving. You’ll have more energy once you’ve fed your body. It’s true what they say – breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
4. Burn a pleasantly-scented candle or essential oils in a diffuser to help wake you up naturally. Picking citrus or bright scents make a huge difference! Whatever you do, don’t choose lavender or you’ll be falling back to sleep!
5. Don’t try a new hairstyle or makeup trend in the morning. If it doesn’t turn out how you’d like, you will either be rushing to fix it or you won’t have time to and you’ll head out looking a hot mess!
6. Crank some tunes! Spotify offers a bunch of “morning” playlists, but my recent favorite has been this one to get me moving!
How do you typically spend your morning?